Monday, November 22, 2010

Deep Purple


On 3rd November, I went to the WEX in Marche-en-Famenne to see Deep Purple on stage, one of my favourite hard rock bands. Although the tickets were quite expensive (57 euros), it was worth seeing this mythical band! They started their European tour in October and this was their only date in Belgium. All I can say is that it was an amazing and unforgettable concert!

The concert hall was not fully packed, there were 5,700 people (out of 6,000 places available). The show started at 8.30 p.m. with a band called Puggy, that I had never heard of before. It was thus a discovery for me and I quite liked their pop-rock music. They consider themselves as a Belgian band since they met for the first time in Brussels, but in fact the drummer is Swedish, the bassist French and the singer English. I had already heard their famous song “When You Know” on the radio, but without even knowing that it was from them! Their performance warmed up the audience before the real show.

Deep Purple started playing at 9.30 p.m. and played until 11.15 p.m., which was a nice gesture for 60-year-old people who had just come back from several concerts in Poland. What very much impressed me were the guitar and keyboard solos. Steve Morse, the only American member (the others are English), is in my opinion one of the best guitarists in the world. The keyboardist, Don Airey, is also a real virtuoso. He even played La P’tite Gayole, a well-known Walloon song, and the audience sang in chorus. The bassist, Roger Glover, also played a solo: it was the first bass solo I have ever seen! Ian Gillan, the lead singer, still has a perfect voice (and body!), despite his age. Being myself a former drummer, I was amazed by the talent of Ian Paice, whose Pearl drum is tremendous!

The highlight of the show was unquestionable, they played their well-known song Smoke On The Water, of which the guitar riff is certainly the most famous in the history of rock. In the end, they took a curtain call and played Hush and Black Night, the latter being my favourite.

The set list was the following:

1. Hard Lovin' Man
2. Things I Never Said
3. Maybe I'm a Leo
4. Strange Kind of Woman
5. Rapture of the Deep
6. Fireball
7. Silver Tongue
8. Contact Lost
9. Guitar Solo
10. When a Blind Man Cries
11. The Well Dressed Guitar
12. Almost Human
13. Lazy
14. No One Came
15. Keyboard Solo
16. Perfect Strangers
17. Space Truckin'
18. Smoke on the Water
19. Hush
20. Black Night




No comments: